A great article on Margaret Hamilton, the race to the Moon, and the birth of software engineering.
Revisiting an oldie but a goodie. This simple metric gives the development manager a concrete way to measure process effectiveness, and more importantly, to communicate it to other stakeholders. (note #8 – one of my personal hot-button issues)
The Joel Test
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?